Friday, November 22, 2013

Turning Weaknesses into Strengths

I have really had to pray and ponder today's scripture. Jacob 4:7 Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things. 

A couple of things that have been going through my mind today are two things I learned very early in my seminary and institute studies. 
1. Weaknesses don't always mean sin.
2. That through the miracle of forgiveness all sins can be forgiven. 
And in Ether 12:27 we learn that The Lord shows us our weaknesses to make us humble and by his grace and our faith he uses our weaknesses to make us strong. 

I remember a calling that I had back in my ward in Manchester, CT. I had served in many different positions in many different wards, several I had knowledge of going into them and several of them I had others around me that I could draw strength from. But this particular calling, all I had to draw from was my passion and love of music. My bishop, whom I had lots of love and respect for, called Marty and I into his office and extended a call to me to be the new Relief Society Chorister. I ask him if he was crazy... No kidding, I did, in those exact words. I quickly went on to explain I could not read music, the only time I had lead the music was a couple of times in Seminary to pass off my personal progress stuff and I was pretty sure I was not a good singer, even though I pretended really hard to be a good alto/tenor in my institute choir. Marty was the music man in more ways than one. But he insisted that was the calling that The Lord desired for me to have at that moment. I asked for time to pray about it, which I also had never done before, but I hadn't been gone from his office very long until I found myself  knocking on his office door, agreeing to take on the new challenge. I prayed hard and worked very close with Marty to learn everything I could about what I needed to do. I loved my calling, I treasure the time Marty and I spent together as he taught me how to lead song after song. I am fully aware of the Lords hand in helping to make me strong in my weakness. I am very humble and grateful for both my calling and my wise bishop. The knowledge and experiences that I gained from that calling has served me well, both then and now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment