Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 10.... Restless Waters!



        I knew it was going to be different at the beach this morning... we could hear the heavier waves crashing in as we went to bed last night. Usually we only hear them during high tide and the loudness differs dramatically depending on if the moon is full or not. But last night, the waters were definitely restless, all night long we could here them pounding at the sand. We talked about it being do to the impending storm that we are expecting today and tomorrow. What ever the case may be, I awoke this morning to drizzling rain and wind in my trees. I could still here the waves but not as intense. So I head to the beach for my walk/run. As I got closer to the little bridge at the dunes, I could see huge wave curling over a lot higher that usually this time of the morning and as I approached the center of the bridge and could see down at the sandy shore, there wasn't much of one... Where was lower tide? Where was my packed sand base? Where was the gentle waves that lap at my feet as I dodge the broken shells?  Very quickly it become evident that today was not a good day for me to be on the water front. The waves were strong and angrily fighting with the dunes.
The sand was very wet and mushy, not stable for running. As I continued to walk along the waters edge the thick foam snaked it's way to and fro, looking, I am sure, for a place to hide. About 10 minutes into my walk, I began to to feel very alone and a little unsafe. Nobody was around, not even my little sandpiper friends that I have grown so accustom too. Then in the distant, I heard the old familiar sound and as I turned to look, sure enough, the red spot in the sky of the fast approaching Coast Guard Patrol Chopper gave me all the indication I needed to turn around and go back to the comfort of my cozy corner and settle on a morning of kickboxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment