Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 8 ..... Road Blocks & Recipes

       Ever had mornings when you just can't make your self do anything no matter what? Well, this morning was one of those for me... It started last night, I think I ate something that didn't like me, because by the time I got home from the restaurant I was covered in hives. I took two Benedryl and went to bed. They knock me out for at least a good eight hours, so I kind of knew I was already sunk this morning anyway. Then to top that off I had to go in to work unexpectedly. So my walk/run got moved to the afternoon and can I just say... mornings are so much better for beach running!
        Anyway, I did find out today the following fruits and veggies are in season right now here at the beach and I am so excited, because Most of them are my favorite and I have a wide variety to choose from.
Here is one of my all time favorite side dishes this time of year. Tomorrow I will be serving it with Baked Chicken and homemade biscuits...

 Roasted Fall Medley

  • 2 small sweet potatoes
  • 1 large apple
  • 2 peeled parsnips, sliced
  • 1/2 small cauliflower
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
  • 6-8 small button mushrooms
  • 1/2 medium onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  •  1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  •  1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth

Directions

  • Peel and cube sweet potato and apple. Add cauliflower, parsnips, mushrooms. Coated with olive oil and place in 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper. For moister vegetables you can add 1/4 cup of chicken broth. Pour broth over all. Top with onions and garlic. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables reach desired tenderness. Yield: 8 servings.


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 136 calories, Total Fat 7.3, Carbohydrate, 17.6, Sodium 31.4, Fiber 3.6g, Protein 1.9, Sugar 3.8.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment