Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 9..... A Day of Rest

       I look forward to Sunday's. I love the time I spend with my family and friends in church. I love sharing the gospel and gathering strength from the testimony of others. Many times I have been asked if I still run/walk on Sundays. I do not run or workout, I honor the Sabbath and gratefully give my body a day of rest. I do however treasure a casual walk on the beach with my hubby or saver a stroll in the park with my kids, some times when the family is all together we play Frisbee in the backyard. Nothing too labor intensive... :)
       The Scriptures teach us, in many different verses, to honor the Sabbath and keep it holy. One of my favorite explanations of the correct ways of keeping the Sabbath Day Holy was stated by President Kimball in the January 1978, Ensign. "The Sabbath is a holy day in which to do worthy and holy things. Abstinence from work and recreation is important, but insufficient. The Sabbath calls for constructive thoughts and acts, and if one merely lounges about doing nothing on the Sabbath, he is breaking it. To observe it, one will be on his knees in prayer, preparing lessons, studying the gospel, meditating, visiting the ill and distressed, writing letters to missionaries, taking a nap, reading wholesome material, and attending all the meetings of that day at which he is expected."
        So this is the kind of things that I try to do as I give my body the physical rest that it needs and deserves. I will be back on the beach in the morning....

No comments:

Post a Comment